Sunday, September 30, 2007

Faith Walks at ACU

After spending hours at a time in a hospital room....I left and went for walks on the ACU walking trail....which I have re-named....as I took faith walks each morning....or evening....depending on what worked out. As I walked I was struck by so many memories....
ACU has been such a vital part of my history. It was due to my Dad....and his stubborness that I attended there. I will forever be grateful that his wisdom outweighed my youthful rebellion. I remember him with his hat in his hand in the ACC financial aid office.....which for my Dad was way out of his comfort zone.....and it was a humbling experience for him. But he was willing to be humbled for the sake of his love for his daughter. Later when I was the secretary for the Industrial Arts Department...under Dr. Don Drennan and Bert Mosier.....he would stop by and visit me.....in his old pick up truck with the tailor hitched to the back....on the way to or from the cow sale. On one occasion he stopped by to visit me with a load of pigs.....and I was so embarrassed. Looking back with the wisdom that comes with age...I am a little ashamed that I would ever have been embarrassed by my Dad! I grew here....I fell in love here......
Then when Andy was so sick......we came here....and Norman Archibald arranged for us to live in Sherrod Apartments one summer so he could re-gain his health in the West Texas dry air.....we came with a sick little boy....and in the fall left with a healthy tan little fellow.
When it was time for me to gently nudge all three children from the nest....we nudged them to fly west.....and again.....I have three precious memories of dropping children off for their first year of college......and independence. But each time I left with the reassurance that they were in a place where they could grow....and flourish spiritually and intellectually.
Once again I return....to Abilene.....and find myself "at home" on a faith walk at ACU. As I waited for Dad to pass from this old world to the next....ACU was once again...right there at a crossroad moment in my life. As I walked past scriptures....and viewed the campus....I thought of our parallels in life......we were young and on the brink of discovery when I was there....and through the years we have both grown.....we are both much more mature.....each of us has grappled with faith issues.....and we have lived through a battle or two......but thriving and more beautiful than ever. Well, ACU is more beautiful than ever....and will continue to be......I on the other hand carry the wrinkles of time....and wear my battle scars! :) But I find such comfort in our history together. She has become my Jerusalem.
So...those are my faith walk thoughts....while watching the morning sunrise....or the unique West Texas sunsets. It is a beloved place....that I will forever hold in my heart.


No comments:

My first grandbaby! Miss Shelby Grace...

My first grandbaby! Miss Shelby Grace...
Gabby holding Shelby...what a little baby doll!

Second grandbaby! Miss Emma Grace!

Second grandbaby! Miss Emma Grace!
More than I can say "Grace" over... :)

Shelby

Shelby
Watering Daddy Bob's tree

Princess Shelby

Princess Shelby
Castles and ponies!

Princess Emma

Princess Emma
Tutus and feathered crowns...