Thursday, January 2, 2014

Christmas Outfits...Lessons Learned!

The famous Christmas Outfits! 
In Russell folk lore there is a famous story that we often recall with great affection. This photo is a part of our yearly decorations as a reminder of an object lesson of long ago. Of course...it reminds me of my sweet kiddos...that were adorable then...and amazing now. But...it is also a reminder to each of us in the Russell clan of a Christmas lesson embedded in our hearts forever.

This particular Christmas we were broke. We are always kind of broke. But...that is another story! In November I saw the dresses at a local downtown children's store...Young Fashions. I splurged. I spent money I didn't have on these two adorable (my girls question this even now)  Christmas dresses...and then to make sure Andy was not left out purchased dress pants, shirt and red sweater for him. I was SO excited. I wrapped them and presented the gifts to them as early Christmas presents...knowing they would be worn the entire month of December. To buy clothes to be only worn for one month was truly a luxury...sacrifices were made for those three knuckleheads to look cute! Was it wise? Probably not...but it was my gift to them. And I couldn't wait to see the excitement on their faces.

Well, needless to say...their faces were less than overjoyed when they discovered the early Christmas gifts...so perfectly wrapped...were clothes. Kids are always underwhelmed with clothes. Their reaction was flippant...ho hum...whatever...kind of an eye rolling moment between them...in front of me. Not one "thanks mom"...or a hug...or any kind of appreciation for the gift that I was so excited about giving them. Now we could stop right here and have a whole lesson on how God must feel when He lavishes us with gifts...and we are flippant! BUT...the story continues.

I was furious. I told them to pack up the clothes. Put them back in the box. You could have heard a pin drop. Once again I told them to pack up the clothes...get their coats and get in the car. NOW. Quietly, the little Russell sprouts gathered their Christmas clothes and headed to the our old mustard colored station wagon. I drove to the most pitiful parts of our little town I knew about. We drove up and down streets...some I had never seen before. I drove slowly. Intermittently I would stop and point to a run down old structure that appeared kids might possibly live there...and I would say, "Do you think the kids that live here will get Christmas clothes this season?" Complete quiet in the back seat. We drove in silence while I slowed down and sometimes stopped for the kids to take in exactly the scene that I wanted them to see...when out of my wandering eye what did appear? Oh my...it was God-thing for sure. Suddenly, on an old over-grown vacant lot there sat an old beat up school bus...with curtains in the windows. It was clear that someone was living in this bus headed to no where. I was as surprised as anyone...but just stopped the car...letting them take in all in. Quietly, I asked...do you think kids that live in this bus will get Christmas clothes this year? Sniffling...soft sobbing...to be honest at this point I am sniffling myself. We were all having a moment.

Now during this time in our lives we owned a restaurant called Embers. We drove to Embers for a snack and a visit with Dad. When we walked in it was clear I was with a little band of down trodden kiddos. Jim joined us in one of the old bright orange booths...and asked what was going on. I explained to him about our outing...and why we were on this little trek and what we had observed with a special emphasis on the bus. All three looked at the floor...ashamed. Then little Katie looked up with tears brimming and said, "Daddy, can we take a pie to the people that live in the bus?" Of course...her sweet Daddy replied...he explained to her he would need more information. He told the kids he would ask our local police officer about the family in the bus and we could most definitely take a pie to them. Lesson learned.

The Russell kiddos wore their Christmas clothes that season with grateful hearts. And to my recollection they were never ungrateful again. One time Andy even boldly commented years later...."You better say 'thank you' or my momma will take you for a ride!" OH...and the people in the bus...well, it turned out to be a crack house. The kids never knew...we made a pie...and gave it to Dad to deliver to the bus. The Ember employees had a sweet treat on the Russell kids that year! And the little Russell band of munchkins grew up to be beautiful, grateful children of God.

1 comment:

Keary said...

LOVE it!!! You should write a book. You have a natural gift of writing. I love your stories, your analogies, and your heart for God and your precious family!

My first grandbaby! Miss Shelby Grace...

My first grandbaby! Miss Shelby Grace...
Gabby holding Shelby...what a little baby doll!

Second grandbaby! Miss Emma Grace!

Second grandbaby! Miss Emma Grace!
More than I can say "Grace" over... :)

Shelby

Shelby
Watering Daddy Bob's tree

Princess Shelby

Princess Shelby
Castles and ponies!

Princess Emma

Princess Emma
Tutus and feathered crowns...