Sunday, September 30, 2007

The beginning of the end....

Since we have learned of Dad's cancer we have made as many trips as possible to visit. Bobbie, Andy, Shelby and Katie joined on this weekend to visit Dad in the hospital. On Saturday the doc called the family in and told us that Dad would be moved to the 7th floor...the Hospice floor. I followed him out of the room...told him I was from out of town and wondered if I should go...or stay. He told me to stay....that Dad had days not weeks...and maybe just hours. SO...here I am.

We are setting up our temporary home here on the seventh floor at Hendrick Memorial Hospital in Abilene. This floor is devoted to Hospice patients. There are only 7 rooms.....very large and more like a nice hotel room....there are two large family rooms with a kitchen, dining room table, and two living areas with a big screen tv. There is a shower area for families to clean up....roll away beds for you to stay....and it is very homey and nice. What a gift to families in their last days with their loved ones. I writing from from a computer in the family room. Amy lives a couple of blocks away...you can see her roof from Dad's window.
I stayed with Dad last night....he was restless.....and frustrated. I am not sure what he thought Hospice was.....but it is not exactly what he anticipated. He is ready to "go on home" and it is taking a little longer than he had planned. At 3 o'clock this morning we watched the Food channel and then "Gunsmoke" together. I said..."Well, look...there is Rowdy." He quickly corrected me and said, "That is Festus........Rowdy was in Rawhide!" So....nothing wrong with his thought processes! He has asked several times this morning when the Cowboy game was coming on.....but of course, when it comes on he will pretty much sleep through it. It is a very odd experience...waiting...anticipating....expecting...
wondering.....how do you do that? There is no right or wrong way.......just.....existing....and savoring moments.
My prayers have altered....I now pray for less not more......so that he can make a sooner transition from this world to the next. He is tired of this old worldly body....and that stupid mattress that makes that annoying crackling sound. He longs for heaven......and I am sure they are preparing a special place for him where old cow traders go with rolling pastures and fat cattle roaming. That would be Dad's street of gold.

No comments:

My first grandbaby! Miss Shelby Grace...

My first grandbaby! Miss Shelby Grace...
Gabby holding Shelby...what a little baby doll!

Second grandbaby! Miss Emma Grace!

Second grandbaby! Miss Emma Grace!
More than I can say "Grace" over... :)

Shelby

Shelby
Watering Daddy Bob's tree

Princess Shelby

Princess Shelby
Castles and ponies!

Princess Emma

Princess Emma
Tutus and feathered crowns...