Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Journey is finished.

Yesterday, early in the morning...Papa quietly slipped away from this life to the next. Jim had stayed with him all Saturday, Saturday night and most of Sunday. Don came and relieved him. Don stayed Sunday night and Monday morning he was gone. He lived 92 years...and two days. It is certainly like him to squeeze in one more birthday celebration on this earth. He did love his birthday!

Each son is grieving in a different way. Jim's whole life has been defined by either working with his parents or caring for them. He is at a loss. There is a tremendous sense of relief...and perhaps a little bit of creating the image of a saint. That is natural....but the truth is my dad and his dad were both very human...with human frailties and flaws. Neither were saints....both were good men. They were of that generation of men that lived through wars, hard work was valued, and integrity was important. They had a tough time saying "I love you"...or "I am proud of you" ...but you knew they did and they were by their actions.

Jim....is human too....although in my eyes he is very close to being a saint. He has been the most unselfish and giving son any one could imagine. He is a good, good man....and I am thankful each day that I have been blessed with his friendship and his love. I have just walked this walk...and I know what he is struggling with....and the loss he feels. I hurt with him and for him. I also celebrate that he will finally be free to live. The layers of the sandwich are being peeled away....only my mom is left. She will be plenty! :)

On the flip side of this sandwich of life....Katie and Charles heard a healthy strong heartbeat today! As one life ends...and another is beginning. The cycle of life continues...just as it should.

No comments:

My first grandbaby! Miss Shelby Grace...

My first grandbaby! Miss Shelby Grace...
Gabby holding Shelby...what a little baby doll!

Second grandbaby! Miss Emma Grace!

Second grandbaby! Miss Emma Grace!
More than I can say "Grace" over... :)

Shelby

Shelby
Watering Daddy Bob's tree

Princess Shelby

Princess Shelby
Castles and ponies!

Princess Emma

Princess Emma
Tutus and feathered crowns...